Professor William Petri MD, PhD, was awarded a $4.2 million seven-year renewal of his UG1 grant for a project supporting UVA’s partnership with the icddr,b in Bangladesh as a Research Unit, within the Global Network for Women’s and Children’s Health Research.
The UVA – icddr,b Research Unit will continue to add innovative and complementary expertise in infectious diseases, vaccinology, neonatal health, immunology, and human genetics to the robust strengths of the Network, building on the 30-year history of co-leadership of clinical studies led by the principal investigator Dr. Petri and senior foreign investigator Dr. Rashidul Haque, MBBS, PhD.
The grant renewal will support the continuation of sustainable improvements in maternal-child health through the icddr,b, most notably the invention and implementation of oral rehydration solution, to help achieve the Network goals.
The successful renewal for an additional seven years of funding is the accomplishment of a great interdisciplinary team that includes:
- Rashidul Haque, MBBS, PhD, and Masum Billah, PhD at icddr,b in Bangladesh
- Chris Chisholm, MD, UVA Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Rob Sinkin, MD, and Ann Kellams, MD, UVA Department of Pediatrics
- Sepideh Dolatshahi, PhD, UVA Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Tania Thomas, MD, Chelsea Marie Braun, PhD, and Scott Heysell, MD, UVA Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases