By Karin League, MSN, RN, NEA-BC
Here are the latest updates:
- Kate Pettit, MD – Newest Member of the MFM team: The Maternal-Fetal Medicine team of the University of Virginia is proud to welcome the newest member of their team, Kate Pettit, MD. Dr. Pettit has recently finished her fellowship at the University of California in San Diego. She attended medical school at Stanford University and completed her residency in San Francisco. Her research interests include the management and associated complications of multiple gestations as well as the use of non-invasive prenatal testing. Her wife, Christine Garcia, MD, will also join the UVA OB/GYN department as the newest Gynecologic Oncology fellow. They are both thrilled to begin their respective careers at the University of Virginia.
- The OB/GYN Department was awarded the Mulholland Society Award/Class of 1988 Departmental Teaching Award by this year’s graduating class. This annual award recognizes the faculty and residents of the department that the fourth year class feels has contributed the most to their clinical education.
- Dr. Megan Bray of the Northridge Generalists division was appointed as the Associate Dean for Curriculum. She will oversee undergraduate medical education’s continuous curriculum improvement.
- Dr. Linda Duska of the Gynecologic Oncology division was appointed as the Interim Associate Dean for Clinical Research. She will work to support and enhance all aspects of research and training in clinical investigation.
- We just completed an upgrade of our Safe Place system which is the infant banding system that triggers an alarm if someone tries to leave with a baby. This is the first step in a comprehensive program to increase infant security and prevent abductions.
- The nurse midwifery program officially launches October 1.
- We are planning the second employee baby shower event to be held on November 2. It is an opportunity for UVA employees to learn about the benefits we have to offer expectant mothers.
- We are launching UTeam Pregnancy perks which is a plan to give UVA employees who receive their OB care with us the VIP treatment.
- Our Safe Sleep initiative is starting next week. Every family will receive a sleep sack for home and we will be providing sleep sacks for use while they are in the hospital as well as role modeling safe sleep practices.
Filed Under: Features