GME Trainee Appreciation Week is a special time when we recognize and celebrate the invaluable contributions of our residents and fellows at UVA Health.
We have incredible physician trainees who are a part of the School of Medicine’s Graduate Medical Education (GME) training program and whom I consider the future of next-generation medicine. At UVA Health, we have more than 833 resident doctors training in 133 residency and fellowship programs. Working alongside the School of Medicine’s talented clinical faculty our trainees serve as the hospital’s “house staff” and are an integral part of the healthcare team.
During GME Trainee Appreciation Week, Feb. 24 – March 2, please join me in extending your appreciation to our amazing residents and fellows who perform incredible feats while training, learning, and delivering empathy and compassion to our patients. To shed some light on our resident and fellow doctors, they are individuals who:
- Work long hours and frequently nights and weekends
- Sacrifice time away from family and friends to participate in their programs
- Contribute significantly to all our missions, including patient care, research and the education of UVA medical students and more junior residents
- Lead DEI initiatives and help support health equity in our community
- Care for our community by volunteering and providing care at the Free Clinic and The Haven
To our GME trainees, you are an amazing group of residents and fellows! We appreciate and value your contributions and I thank you for making UVA Health a better place for our patients, community, and colleagues.
The GME Office has organized and is sponsoring several events in your honor, and we look forward to showing our appreciation for all that you do at these events!
- Friday, Feb. 24, 3-4pm, ERC A/B: Cookies and Coffee. Gold Humanism Society presentation of GME Trainee Awards.
- Thursday, March 2, 4-6pm ERC A/B: “Linner.” Lunch/Dinner meal pick-up and distribution of thank you gifts.
In gratitude for your contributions,
Melina R. Kibbe, MD
Dean, UVA School of Medicine
Photos below are from the Gold Humanism Thank-a-Resident Day “Cookies and Coffee” event on April 24, 2023. Photos taken by Kay Taylor.
Filed Under: Dean's Message, Education, Featured