UVA SOM Faculty News Weekly Round-Up
May 4, 2018
• Ku-Lung (Ken) Hsu, PhD, Assistant Professor of Chemistry, was selected for a Young Investigator Award by the Melanoma Research Alliance.
Read more: https://www.curemelanoma.org/research/mra-research-awards/young-investigator/
• UVA Pioneering New 3D Cancer Model to Speed New Treatments
“This [new 3D model of a cancer tumor] enables us to understand the inner workings of tumors to systematically identify and test new ways to treat cancer,” said researcher Dan Gioeli, PhD, Associate Professor of Microbiology.
Read more: http://www.nbc29.com/story/38113546/uva-pioneering-new-3d-cancer-model-to-speed-new-treatments
• Doctors Facing Opioid Shortage Must Treat Patients Differently
Michael D. Williams, MD, Associate Professor of Surgery, discussed how UVA clinicians are working to treat patients in light of the opioid crisis and opioid shortage in the US.
Watch the interview: http://www.newsplex.com/content/news/Doctors-facing-opioid-shortage-must-treat-patients-differently-481548531.html
• Chhabra Wins Broadcasting Award for Sports Injury Reports
Bobby Chhabra, MD, Professor and Chair of Orthopaedic Surgery, won Best Sports Feature in Virginia from the Virginias Associated Press Broadcasters 2018 Awards. Dr. Chhabra does a regular show with WINA’s Jay James, called “Best Seat Injury Report with Dr. Chhabra.”
Read more: http://wina.com/news/064460-wina-takes-home-14-ap-awards/
• Junior Faculty Development Program Cohort of 2017-2018 Completes Program
Read the names of this year’s JFDP participants: http://ow.ly/2xhY30jQV0A
Did we miss something? If you have UVA SOM faculty news to share, please email email@example.com.