UVA Health is preparing for the arrival of flu season and we’re excited to announce this year’s flu vaccination initiative: Flu Free in ’23:
Getting influenza/flu vaccination is the best way to prevent flu and its complications. The CDC recommends annual flu vaccination for everyone age six months or older. Flu vaccination can lower your risk of getting flu, and it also can lower the risk of having serious illness from flu. By getting vaccinated, you are also protecting people around you, including those who are more vulnerable to serious flu illness, including babies and young children, older people, and people with certain chronic health conditions.
Flu vaccines are free for all UVA Health team members, and vaccination is mandatory for all Tier 1 UVA Health team members. Please refer to Health System Policy OCH-002 (VPN required) to find out if you are a Tier 1 team member.
Where to get a flu shot:
- Walk-In Clinics: Sept. 26-Nov. 15, various locations.
- At Your Work Location: If your manager requested a to-go kit, you will be able to receive your flu shot in your work location. Ask your manager if this is an option for you.
- Employee Health: For UVA Health team members. By appointment only. Call 434.924.2013 to schedule.
- Primary care provider or community pharmacy: If you receive your vaccine from your PCP (including those affiliated with UVA) or a pharmacy, you must present your documentation to Employee Health or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wednesday, Nov. 1 | Deadline for submitting new flu vaccination exemption requests (see instructions below).
- Wednesday, Nov. 15 | Deadline for UVA Health team member annual flu shot compliance.
Flu vaccine offered this year:
FluLaval® for all team members, regardless of age.
- FLUZONE® High-Dose Quadrivalent to people 65 years of age and older. FLUZONE® High-Dose will be stocked in clinical areas as soon as possible after shipments are received, and we will update team members when it is available at UVA Health. If you want a high-dose vaccine and do not want to wait until shipments are received, you may go to any community pharmacy that offers a high-dose vaccine. If you receive your vaccine from your PCP (including those affiliated with UVA) or a pharmacy, you must present your documentation to Employee Health or email it to email@example.com.
Vaccination Policy Exemptions:
- Anyone who received an exemption last year has had their exemption automatically approved for this year. You can check your exemption status in VaxTrax.
- New Exemption Requests — If you are seeking a new exemption, access the exemption request form here. You will be directed to sign in using your computing ID and password. Click the “Exemption” button to the right of your 2022 flu vaccine status. Click “Religious Exemption” or “Medical Exemption” based on the type of exemption you are requesting. This will take you to the exemption form and submission instructions. Requests must be submitted before the Nov. 1 deadline.
- See exemption policy details here.
Thank you for your support of this important initiative. By maintaining our own health, we can support our colleagues and ensure care delivery to the patients who depend on us during flu season and every day.
Filed Under: Community