About the Award
Established in 2013, the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., University of Virginia Health System Award is presented annually to a student, faculty, or staff member of the Health System who embodies Dr. Martin Luther King’s values and teachings in cultural competence, healthcare disparities, or fostering an environment of inclusiveness, in accordance with the institution’s mission and values.
- The nominee/recipient must be a current student, faculty, or staff member at the University of Virginia Health System (Medical Center, School of Medicine, or School of Nursing).
- The nominee/recipient must have demonstrated a deep commitment and distinct passion for diversity at the Health System.
- The nominee/recipient must exemplify leadership in cultural competence, health care disparities, or fostering an environment of inclusiveness.
Any student, faculty or staff member of the University of Virginia Health System is eligible for nomination, according to the above criteria. In addition to the nomination form, the committee requires a letter of support describing how the nominee has exemplified the award-related criteria.
Click here for a nomination form. Download and scroll to page 3.
- Nominations are due by 4 p.m., Friday, December 9.
- Email a completed packet including a nomination form and letter of support in a Word document or PDF to Margaret Natter Bernhardt, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Questions? Call 434.297.7013.
The selection committee for the 2023 Dr. Martin Luther King University of Virginia Health System Award will include the following voting members:
- Greg Townsend, MD, Associate Dean for Diversity and Medical Education, School of Medicine
- Santos Acosta Martinez, Med 3/SMD 2024
- Kimberley Barker, Librarian for Belonging & Community Engagement, Claude Moore Health Sciences Library
- Perry Bradford, MD, Chief Resident, PGY-6, Department of Plastic Surgery
- Michael Chen, Med 4/SMD 2023
- Diane Farineau, Director, Graduate Medical Education Program, School of Medicine
- Ivora (Ivy) Hinton, PhD, Director, Inclusion, Diversity and Excellence Achievement, School of Nursing
- Charles Lewis, Senior Telehealth Engineer-Karen S. Rheuban Center for Telehealth-UVA Health System
- Vickie Marsh, Manager, Support Services, UVA Health System
- Elissa Moody, Med 4/SMD 2023
- Melody Pannell, Directory of Diversity and Community Engagement, UVA Health System
- Halima Walker, MSN, RN, CCRN, Assistant Nurse Manager, Acute Cardiology
Past Award Recipients
- 2013 – Pamela Ross, MD
- 2014 – Michael Moxley, MD
- 2015 – Dorrie Fontaine, RN, PhD, FAAN
- 2016 – Joel G. Anderson, PhD, HTP
- 2017- Fern Hauck, MD, MS and Charles Lewis
- 2018- Eric Carson, MD and Max Luna, MD
- 2019- Ishan Williams, PhD, Preston Reynolds, MD and Franck Azobou Tonleu
- 2020- Randolph Canterbury, MD
- 2021- Zahra Alisa, Taison Bell, MD, Rudolph Beverly, Mark Fleming, MD, Milania Harris, Ebony Hilton, MD, Sana Syed, MD, UVA Housestaff Council of Diversity/Inclusion, Tiana Walker, B. Cameron Webb, MD, and Leigh-Anne Webb, MD
- 2022 – Mariana Araujo, Perry Bradford, MD, Cathy Campbell, PhD, RN, Jacqueline Carson and Richard Merkel, MD
Filed Under: Calls to Action, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion