The SOM Office for Research is soliciting projects for the Medical Student Summer Research Program (MSSRP). The MSSRP is a summer research experience offered to our medical students as an important way to enrich their medical education and enhance exposure to biomedical research. The program is restricted to rising second-year UVA medical students. Here are some key features of the program:
- Seven-week program. Students work a minimum of 35 days x 8 hours.
- Total stipend of $3,200. All mentors will need to identify a funding source(s) where a student stipend/fellowship is an allowable cost and the mentors will need to provide information about the eligible worktag for these charges. If the preceptor/mentor is unable to pay the full amount, the School of Medicine can provide co-funding of up to $1100 to a limited number of preceptors. More information on this process is found below.
- The Dean’s Office pays the Summer Session fees for all student participants.
- Participants in the MSSRP are enrolled as students. As such, the $3,200 will be paid to the MSSRP participants as a stipend/fellowship.
- The department is responsible for ensuring that the worktag is SIS-activated and that the expenditure type is allowed prior to submitting the worktag to MSSRP. If the project is owned by OSP, the department will need to contact the award manager to have the worktag set up correctly.
- As mentioned above, the School of Medicine can provide co-funding of up to $1,100 for one student per preceptor for a limited number of preceptors. To request co-funding, send me an e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a discussion/documentation of financial need. Please note that co-funding by the School of Medicine is limited, so it would be advisable to make your request early. If you, as the mentor, have received MSSRP co-funding in the past, you will not be eligible for these funds in subsequent years.
The large number of returning preceptors is a testimonial to the productivity of these students. A detailed program description can be found at the MSSRP web page. The on-line forms described below also are accessible from this page (see menu on right side).
If you wish to participate in the program:
- Complete the On-line Preceptor Form (see “2023 On-line Preceptor Form”). Once the preceptor form is completed, a short description of the proposed project will be posted to the SOM research web site for students to review.
- Students will contact you directly. Feel free to discuss your project with more than one student and select the best fit for your research group.
- To complete your “match” for the program, student and preceptor must complete the 2023 On-line Student Match Form.
- The deadline is April 28, 2023.
For questions, contact Mary Peace McRae, PharmD, PhD, Assistant Dean for Research.