Purpose: The Commonwealth of Virginia established the Award Fund in 1982 to promote research into Alzheimer’s and related diseases. Because of a commitment to program balance, the Fund encourages scientifically rigorous applications from a broad spectrum of disciplines. Studies may involve:
- the underlying causes, epidemiology, diagnosis, or treatment of Alzheimer’s and related diseases;
- policies, programs, and financing for care and support of those affected by Alzheimer’s and related diseases;
- or the social and psychological impacts of Alzheimer’s and related diseases upon the individual, family, and community.
Funding: The size of awards varies, but is limited to $45,000 each. The number of awards is contingent upon available funds.
Eligibility: Applicants must be affiliated with colleges or universities, research institutes, or other not-for-profit organizations located in Virginia. The Fund encourages partnerships between community-based agencies/facilities and academic institutions in Virginia.
- Letter of Intent: By February 3, 2022, prospective applicants are required to submit a non-binding letter of intent that includes a descriptive project title, contact information for the principal investigator, the identities of other key personnel and participating institutions, a non-technical abstract, the specific aims, and 4-5 sentence description of the project in common, everyday language for press release purposes. Letters on letterhead with a signature affixed must be uploaded to go.vcu.edu/ardraf-loi. Potential applicants will be contacted if LOIs are deemed inappropriate.
- Applications: Applications emailed on or before the due date will be accepted through 5 pm on March 3, 2022. NOTE: there were significant changes to application requirements in 2018.
- Announcement of Awards: Award decisions will be announced by June 20, 2022.
- Funding Period: The funding period begins July 1, 2022, and projects must be completed by June 30, 2023.
Review: Three qualified technical reviewers, one of whom is identified by the applicant, will review proposals for scientific merit. The Awards Committee will make the final funding decision.
Application: Application forms, guidelines, and further information may be found atgo.vcu.edu/ardraf or by contacting the Award Fund administrator:
Filed Under: Funding Opportunities