The Department of Defense (DOD) Congressionally Directed Medical Research Program (CDMRP) released its fiscal year (FY) 2021 Peer Reviewed Medical Research Program (PRMRP) solicitations. For FY 2021, Congress has allocated $370 million for PRMRP in 42 topic areas.
Information on each of the funding mechanisms and a list of the FY 2021 topic areas is listed below. Those interested should carefully review the submission requirements for each funding mechanism. Additionally, interested applicants should review the “Areas of Encouragement,” in the appendix of each solicitation, for details on DOD interests in the listed topic areas. Lewis-Burke Associates LLC (Lewis-Burke) is available to speak with those interested to provide details on best practices for successful submissions, especially as they pertain to addressing military relevancy and the review processes.
- The Discovery Award supports the exploration of a highly innovative new concept or untested theory in the topic area(s) of interest. Postdoctoral or clinical fellow and above are eligible.
- The Focused Program Award supports multidisciplinary research with multiple investigators, addressing an overarching goal in the topic area(s) of interest. Projects may range from exploratory/hypothesis development through small-scale clinical trials.
The Investigator-Initiated Research Award supports novel research focused on patient care and allows for partnering of primary investigators.
- The Technology/Therapeutic Development Award supports the translation of preclinical findings into clinical applications for prevention, detection, diagnosis, treatment, or quality of life in the topics area(s) of interest. This is a product-oriented award.
The Clinical Trial Award supports the implementation of clinical trials to evaluate products, pharmacologic agents, devices, clinical guidance and emerging approaches and technologies that may significantly impact one of the diseases listed under the FY 2021 PRMRP topic areas.
Topic Areas: (* denotes new topics for FY 2021)
Burn Pit Exposure
Congenital Heart Disease
Emerging Viral Diseases
Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis
Inflammatory Bowel Diseases
Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Non-Opioid Therapy for Pain Management*
Pathogen-Inactivated Blood Products
Platelet-Like Cell Production*
Polycystic Kidney Disease
Sleep Disorders and Restriction
Sustained Release Drug Delivery
Women’s Heart Disease
Although Congress decides which topic areas are funded, DOD program managers and Joint Program Committees (JPCs) retain authority in program directions and are influential in shaping the direction of CDMRP programs. CDMRP employs a rigorous two-tier review process: scientific, peer review and programmatic review. The programmatic review is intended to address the relevance of the proposed research to DOD’s needs; therefore, it is important for both the pre-application and the full proposal to consider the topic area in relation to the mission of DOD and the “Areas of Encouragement” described in the appendix of each solicitation. Additional information about the two-tier review process is available here.
URLs for more information:
Sources and Additional Background:
- The FY 2021 PRMRP funding opportunities can be found at https://cdmrp.army.mil/funding/prmrp.
- A reference table for the award mechanisms and submission requirements can be found athttps://cdmrp.army.mil/funding/pdf/21prmrpreftable.pdf.
- Additional information on PRMRP is available at https://cdmrp.army.mil/prmrp/default.
Filed Under: Funding Opportunities