The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) Biological Technologies Office (BTO) updated its annual broad agency announcement (BAA) on April 23. The BTO BAA seeks innovative research and applications that “integrate biology, engineering, computer science, mathematics, and the physical sciences.” Currently, BTO’s research and investment portfolio includes combating pandemic disease, microbes as production platforms, human performance and warfighter readiness, innovative physiological interventions, and environmental and ecological exploration.
New research topics covered in this BAA, distinct from last year’s BAA include:
- “Designing novel materials, sensors, or processes that mimic or are inspired by biological systems.
- Developing new technologies for advanced eukaryotic cellular engineering to support next generation cellular therapeutic applications.
- Developing new platform technologies for targeted, effective, spatiotemporally-controlled delivery of large and small molecules and biologies.
- Developing tools to understand the underlying rules defining biomolecular and biomaterial structure/function properties in order to predict desired outcomes for novel materials.
- Leveraging biological systems to produce solutions for antimicrobial resistance.”
In addition, the Department of Defense (DOD) has reprogrammed $113 million, allocated through the CARES Act, from the Defense Health Program to DARPA. Some of the funding will go towards BTO to support on-going COVID-19 efforts and potentially to new ideas that address near-term COVID-19 challenges proposed in response to this BAA.
Though not required, the BAA highly encourages proposers to submit abstracts for feedback from BTO program managers, prior to full proposal submissions. Abstracts must not exceed two pages. Abstracts and proposals may be submitted through April 22, 2021, and will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
URL for more information:
The special notice can be found on www.grants.gov under solicitation number “HR001120S0044.”
Filed Under: Funding Opportunities