The Commonwealth of Virginia established the Award Fund in 1982 to promote research into Alzheimer’s and related diseases. Because of a commitment to program balance, the Fund encourages scientifically rigorous applications from a broad spectrum of disciplines. Studies may involve:
- the underlying causes, epidemiology, diagnosis, or treatment of Alzheimer’s and related diseases;
- policies, programs, and financing for care and support of those affected by Alzheimer’s and related diseases;
- or the social and psychological impacts of Alzheimer’s and related diseases upon the individual, family, and community.
The size of awards varies, but is limited to $45,000 each. The number of awards is contingent upon available funds.
Applicants must be affiliated with colleges or universities, research institutes, or other not-for-profit organizations located in Virginia. The Fund encourages partnerships between community-based agencies/facilities and academic institutions in Virginia.
- Letter of Intent: By February 6, 2020, prospective applicants are required to submit a non-binding letter of intent that includes a descriptive project title, contact information for the principal investigator, the identities of other key personnel and participating institutions, a non-technical abstract, the specific aims, and 4-5 sentence description of the project in common, everyday language for press release purposes. Letters on letterhead with signature affixed must be uploaded to go.vcu.edu/ardraf-loi. Potential applicants will be contacted if LOIs are deemed inappropriate.
- Applications: Applications sent by carriers who date stamp on or before the due date, with an electronic copy also emailed on or before the due date will be accepted through the close of business March 12, 2020. NOTE: there were significant changes to application requirements in 2018.
- Announcement of Awards: Award decisions will be announced by June 22, 2020.
- Funding Period: The funding period begins July 1, 2020, and projects must be completed by June 30, 2021.
Three qualified technical reviewers, one of whom is identified by the applicant, will review proposals for scientific merit. The Awards Committee will make the final funding decision.
URL for more information
Application forms, guidelines, and further information may be found at go.vcu.edu/ardraf or by contacting the Award Fund administrator:
Filed Under: Funding Opportunities