The Department of Defense (DOD) Congressionally Directed Medical Research Program (CDMRP) released its fiscal year (FY) 2019 Peer Reviewed Medical Research Program (PRMRP) solicitations. In FY 2019, Congress allocated $350 million for PRMRP in 49 topic areas. Information on each of the funding mechanisms and a list of the FY 2019 topic areas is listed below. Those interested should carefully review the submission requirements for each funding mechanism. Additionally, interested applicants should review the “Areas of Encouragement,” in the appendix of each solicitation, for details on DOD interests in the listed topic areas. Lewis-Burke Associates LLC (Lewis-Burke) is available to speak with those interested to provide details on best practices for successful submissions, especially as they pertain to addressing military relevancy and the review processes.
- The Discovery Award supports the exploration of a highly innovative new concept or untested theory in the topic area(s) of interest. Postdoctoral or clinical fellow and above are eligible. Pre-Application Deadline: March 28, 2019; 5:00 PM Eastern Time (ET)
- The Focused Program Award supports multidisciplinary research with multiple investigators, addressing an overarching goal in the topic area(s) of interest. Projects may range from exploratory/hypothesis development through small-scale clinical trials. Pre-Application Deadline: March 14, 2019; 5:00 PM ETo
- The Investigator-Initiated Research Award supports novel research and allows for partnering of primary investigators. Pre-Application Deadline: March 14, 2019; 5:00 PM ET
- The Technology/Therapeutic Development Award supports the translation of preclinical findings into clinical applications for prevention, detection, diagnosis, treatment, or quality of life in the topics area(s) of interest. This is a product-oriented award. Pre-Application Deadline: March 14, 2019; 5:00 PM ET
- The Clinical Trial Award supports the implementation of clinical trials to evaluate products, pharmacologic agents, devices, clinical guidance and emerging approaches and technologies that may significantly impact one of the diseases listed under the FY 2019 PRMRP topic areas. Pre-Application Deadline: March 14, 2019; 5:00 PM ETTopic Areas: (* denotes new topics for FY 2019)
Acute Lung Injury
Burn Pit Exposure
Chronic Migraine and Post-Traumatic Headache
Congenital Heart Disease
Emerging Infectious Diseases
Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis
Immunomonitoring of Intestinal Transplants
Inflammatory Bowel Diseases
Nanomaterials for Bone Regeneration*
Pathogen-Inactivated Blood Products
Polycystic Kidney Disease*
Spinal Muscular Atrophy
Women’s Heart Disease
Although Congress decides which topic areas are funded, DOD program managers and Joint Program Committees (JPCs) retain authority in program directions and are influential in shaping the direction of CDMRP programs. CDMRP employs a rigorous two-tier review process: scientific, peer review and programmatic review. The programmatic review is intended to address the relevance of the proposed research to DOD’s needs; therefore, it is important for both the pre-application and the full proposal to consider the topic area in relation to the mission of DOD and the “Areas of Encouragement” described in the appendix of each solicitation.
For more Information:
Solicitation details are available at www.grants.gov followed by the solicitation number W81XWH-19.
Additional information about the two-tier review process is available at: http://cdmrp.army.mil/about/2tierRevProcess. Additionally, the members of the Programmatic Review Panel are available at https://cdmrp.army.mil/prmrp/panels/panels19.
Filed Under: Funding Opportunities