CureAccelerator! is a philanthropic pitch event, raising awareness of and funding for innovative repurposing research projects, with up to $50,000 funding for the winning project announced that evening. This Request for Proposals seeks clinical repurposing trials, up to five of which will be selected to pitch at this live event, held in Spring/Summer 2019 in a US city. Exact date and location to be determined prior to the submission deadline.
This CureAccelerator Live! will showcase clinical repurposing trials in any rare disease. A rare disease is defined by US standards as a condition that impacts fewer than 200,000 people, or by European standards as a condition than impacts less than 1 in 2,000 people. Eligible submissions can come from North America and Europe.
Repurposed therapies can be used alone or in combination with other therapies. Therapies must already be FDA, EMA or any other regulatory agency approved or otherwise readily available for human use. Additional Proposal submission instructions can be downloaded at this link: https://goo.gl/MEuCWk.
Our strongest preference is for proof of concept clinical repurposing trials supported by strong scientific evidence or clinical observations. We may also consider late stage preclinical projects that would lead directly to clinical repurposing trials. Late stage preclinical submissions would be strengthened by the support of a clinical team ready to begin a clinical trial, if the final preclinical work delivers the necessary data.
Cures Within Reach is circulating this RFP because our funders and scientists have determined that many rare diseases are either currently partially or fully unsolved. An unsolved disease is one in which one or more of the following are true:
- There is currently no effective treatment;
- The current treatment is only effective for a portion of the patient population;
- There is a treatment that is effective, but many patients develop resistance to the therapy;
- There is a treatment that is effective for the entire patient population, but the treatment is very expensive, and therefore some patients cannot get access to the treatment;
- There is a treatment that is effective for the entire patient population with significant side effects, and for some patients the negative side effects outweigh the benefits of the treatment.
Up to five projects will be selected to be pitched at the CureAccelerator Live! finals event. Principal Investigators, or their designated and approved co-investigator, must be willing to attend the event and make a live pitch for their project to be selected. There are currently no travel stipends or reimbursements available. At least one pitched project will be selected for funding at the CureAccelerator Live! finals.
Maximum funding: $50,000, including a required 20% institutional match
Deadline: January 31, 2019
Filed Under: Funding Opportunities