NOTE: UVA can nominate up to five candidates. Interested PIs should notify Steven Wasserman (email@example.com) of same no later than June 30, 2014. If more than five individuals are interested in applying for this program, the SOM will conduct an internal competition to decide the nominees.
$700,000 awards over five years for physician-scientists, who are committed to an academic career, to bridge advanced postdoctoral/fellowship training and the early years of faculty service. Proposals must be in the area of basic biomedical, disease-oriented, or translational research. Proposals in health services research or involving large-scale clinical trials are not eligible.
- Candidates must hold an M.D., D.D.S., or D.V.M. degree.
- Proposals must be in the area of basic biomedical, disease-oriented, or translational research. Proposals in health services research or involving large-scale clinical trials are ineligible.
- BWF encourages nominations from candidates who work in reproductive science.
- Candidates must be a fellow, resident, or a postdoctoral researcher and have at least two years of postdoctoral research experience at the time of application.
- Candidates must not be more than 10 calendar years past their most recent earned doctorate degree. No exceptions will be made.
- Candidates with a clinical degree not awarded in the U.S. or Canada must be fully licensed to practice in the U.S. or Canada or have completed a residency in the U.S. or Canada within the last 10 calendar years.
- Candidates who hold a junior faculty appointment (Lecturer, Instructor, Assistant Professor-non tenure track, etc.) may be eligible if they have been in a faculty position for two years or less at the time of application. To meet this requirement, the appointment must have begun no earlier than July 1, 2012.
- Candidates must be citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. or Canada at the time of application. Persons who have applied for permanent resident status but have not received their government documentation by the time of application are not eligible.
- Candidates must be committed to a full-time career in research as an independent investigator at a North American degree-granting institution.
- Candidates with tenure-track appointments as an Instructor or Assistant Professor at the time of application are not eligible.
- Candidates that have faculty appointments with institutional start-up funds or hold an R01 grant from the NIH are not eligible.
BWF deadline: October 1, 2014
Filed Under: Funding Opportunities