Below are highlights from the Medical Advisory Committee (MAC) meeting held on Tuesday, March 8, 2016:
- In an effort to better our communication, Dean Wilkes announced the launch of the Dean’s Office Blog. This site will contain information about projects, programs, and initiatives in which the Dean’s Office is supporting our faculty and staff.
- Let us know if this site is not helpful.
- Please spread the word. All faculty and staff have access.
Progress: Strategic Hiring Initiative
- The School of Medicine has committed $60M to the strategic hiring initiative (SHI) to recruit 30-32 new faculty (with an emphasis on physician-scientists) over the next 5 years.
- This initiative is well underway: The committee first formed in December/January and held its first meeting on Jan. 6. As of this MAC meeting (March 8), we now have two commitments from recruits. More are in the pipeline.
Mid-Cycle Reviews for Promotion and Tenure
- We are interested in department models in keeping faculty on track towards academic advancement. If any department is doing an in-depth faculty annual review at year 3 (for newly appointed assistant professors) or at the end of the second year after the receipt of the award of tenure, please contact Dr. Susan Pollart and share your practice and the associated outcomes.
- The School of Medicine is now compliant with all 12 LCME standards and all 93 elements comprising those standards.
- The LCME will continue to monitor two items: faculty diversity and preparation of residents as teachers.
- The next status report is due Dec. 2016. Next full survey visit: 2022-2023.