- Kodi Ravichandran, PhD, Harrison Distinguished Professor and Chair of the Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Cancer Biology, received the Odysseus 1 Award, from the Research Foundation Flanders (FWO), Belgium.
- This award will allow Dr. Ravichandran to join the Vlaams Institute for Biotechnology (VIB) — affiliated with Ghent University, and considered one of the top five independent research institutes in Europe — and to set up a second lab at VIB/UGhent in Belgium where he will address questions related to metabolomics of cell clearance. The new lab will open in early 2017.
Pediatric Liver Transplant
- UVA completed its most recent pediatric liver transplant on Sept. 10 in partnership with Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC.
- The School of Medicine developing an application for a Clinical and Translational Science Award (CTSA) program under the leadership of Dr. Karen Johnston. Dr. Johnston will assume the role of CTSA Director for a two-year period, effective Jan. 1, 2017.
- Dr. Howard Goodkin, Professor of Neurology, will take on the role of Interim Chair of the Department of Neurology while Dr. Johnston leads the CTSA initiative.
Conflict of Interest Policy
- The Health System is bringing its conflict of interest (COI) policies into alignment.
- Ruth Gaare Bernheim, JD, MPH, Chair, Public Health Sciences, and Chair of the SOM Conflict of Interest Committee, presented changes to the policy and requested feedback.
- Please provide comments on the new draft sections, which can be found here (login required): https://resources.med.virginia.edu/deans-office/coi-draft-16/
- These documents will be open for comment through 5 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 23.
- Chris A. Ghaemmaghami, MD, Senior Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs, discussed an update to the institution’s Stark law compliance, a set of Federal laws prohibiting physician self-referral.
- The update includes new language in policies, offer letters, and contracts.
The next meeting will be Tuesday, Oct. 11, 2016, in the BIMS classroom.
Filed Under: Clinical, Faculty, Operations, Research