Introduction of Anne Watkins
- Dean Wilkes introduced Anne Watkins, Assistant Vice President and Chief Development Officer, School of Medicine. Anne will be meeting with the chairs in the coming weeks to discuss fundraising efforts.
- Dean David Wilkes discussed Inova Health System and UVA’s agreement to form a comprehensive research and education partnership.
- The full press release can be read on the Dean’s Office Blog, linked here.
- Please direct colleagues to the FAQ, linked here. Many questions are answered here.
Leadership Curriculum Certificate and Other Collaborations with Darden
- In March 2017, the School of Medicine and Darden will pilot a certificate program as part of its leadership curriculum. This pilot will be four, two-week courses covering “Medical Practice Today,” “Building Your Leadership Style,” “Leadership and Practice” and “Business Acumen for the Medical Profession.” Coursework will also be made available to residents.
- The SOM will provide this opportunity to biomedical science students, as well. Some courses will be replaced with content more appropriate for BIMS students.
- Darden is interested in scientific education and we have been asked to develop a course for their students in biomedical sciences.
- There have been conversations to develop a new leadership degree program in collaboration with Darden. We could use this new degree internally to train Health System leaders of tomorrow.
- Canterbury will send out more details as they become available.
- Dr. Peggy Shupnik reminded chairs of the new research intelligence tools, Pivot and GrantForward. You can read about them on the Dean’s Office Blog, linked here.
Strategic Hiring Committee
- Dr. Shupnik shared that the Strategic Hiring Committee continues to be pleased with the candidates. Please encourage faculty to recommend colleagues who they would like to work with, the kind who nucleate new efforts.
- The first group of Pinn Scholars will be named in December. Reminder: Applications are due Nov. 15.
- There are many young faculty who are worthy of this. We would like to take this occasion to reward them. Please nominate your colleagues.
The next meeting will be Tuesday, December 13, 2016, in the MEB Learning Studio.
Filed Under: Education, Faculty, Operations, Research