Opening Comments from the Dean
- The Blue Ridge Institute for Medical Research publishes rankings of National Institutes of Health (NIH) grant dollars rewarded to medical schools. Dean Wilkes announced the School of Medicine moved from 40th to 35th and thanked the faculty and staff who had a part in this achievement.
- Dean Wilkes announced the strategic hires who will be starting soon at the School of Medicine.
- May 1: Philip Bourne, PhD, Director, Data Science Institute (from NIH).
- March 1: Francine Garrett-Bakelman, MD, PhD, Assistant Professor of Medicine-Hem/Onc and Biochemistry & Molecular Genetics (from Cornell University SOM).
- July 1: Ananda Basu, MD, and Rita Basu, MD, Professors of Medicine (Endocrinology) (from Mayo Clinics).
- March 1: José Oberholzer, MD, Director, Charles O. Strickler Transplant Center (from University of Illinois).
- Dean Wilkes introduced Lynne Boyle, Federal Relations Professional, Office of the Executive Vice President of Health Affairs.
Department Diversity Plans
- Dr. Susan Pollart thanked the 28 departments that have submitted their diversity plans.
- Next steps: Dr. Pollart will be in contact with the department facilitators to refine the plans and request action steps for the coming year.
- Reminder: The Harold Amos Medical Faculty Development Program Scholars application process is open now. Deadline March 15. virginia.edu/diversity/resources/awards/
- Drs. Margaret Plews-Ogan, Raymond Costabile, and Norman Oliver presented Be Wise, a program to create a welcoming and healthy workplace throughout the Health System. Be Wise creates a defined mechanism to help people be their best selves, so that we can give the best care possible to our patients.
- Be Wise aims to enhance individual resilience and interpersonal communication; to identify and reduce unnecessary stressors; and to recognize caregiver stress and know how to respond.
- Two key components are prevention and intervention. It is important to note that this is a supportive and restorative process, not a punitive one.
- Next steps: Dr. Plews-Ogan will gather individuals for clarity on Be Wise processes. Please send any feedback on the flowchart (distributed at the meeting and via email) to her.
The next meeting will be Tuesday, March 14, 2017, in the BIMS Classroom.