- The School of Medicine finished a strong FY16 with $207.4M in total funding from all sources, including $127M in grants from the National Institutes of Health.
- The totals represent a greater than 14% increase in UVA SOM NIH funding, and a 16.4% increase in total funding since last fiscal year.
- Thanks to all: This is a testament to the hard work and creativity of our faculty, students, fellows and staff.
The Class of 2020
- The 156 students of the Class of 2020 are now on Grounds and have been orienting for the past few days.
- This class is one of the most diverse and academically qualified group of students we have ever had.
Chair Searches Update
- In December of 2015, the School of Medicine engaged CBO Partners — a local firm with expertise in conducting leadership searches for schools of medicine — and launched chair searches (every other month) for Organ Transplant, Plastic and Maxillofacial Surgery, Surgery, Otolaryngology: Head and Neck Surgery, and Dermatology.
- Searches are going well. The dean’s office and the search committees are fielding expressions of interest from candidates as well as conducting first- and second-round interviews.
U.S. News & World Report
- The 2016-2017 “Best Hospitals” guide recognized eight UVAHS specialties and ranked UVA as the #1 hospital in Virginia.
- Three UVA specialties ranked in the top 50 in the U.S. are Cancer, Urology, and Nephrology.
- Five specialties honored as “high performing” (placing them among the top 10 percent in their respective specialties: Cardiology & heart surgery; Diabetes & endocrinology; Neurology & neurosurgery; Orthopedics; and Pulmonology.
Our Core Values in Action: ASPIRE
- ASPIRE values launched on June 7 at the leadership summit. Anne discussed options and solicited feedback how to best communicate these to faculty and staff.
- If you need assistance in talking about ASPIRE to your team, there are resources and opportunities available. Contact Anne Williams (firstname.lastname@example.org) or visit http://www.medicalcenter.virginia.edu/intranet/aspire
The next MAC meeting will be Tuesday, Sept. 13, 2016, in the BIMS classroom.