Forty-seven physicians from the University of Virginia Health System were included in the latest edition of America’s Top DoctorsTM(ninth edition).
Sally H. Jones
America’s Top Doctors Names 47 UVA Doctors as Best in Their Fields
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va., May 18, 2010 – Forty-seven physicians from the University of Virginia Health System were included in the latest edition of America’s Top DoctorsTM(ninth edition). Published annually by Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., the guide recognizes physicians who are considered among the top one percent in the nation in their medical specialties and sub-specialties.
To be selected for inclusion in the book, doctors must be nominated by their peer physicians. The nomination process involves tens of thousands of board-certified physicians across the nation, as well as presidents, vice presidents of medical affairs [or an equivalent position] and chiefs of service in eight medical specialties from more than 1,000 hospitals across the United States. The guide is designed to help people find the most outstanding specialists to meet their medical needs, on a local, regional or national level.
The UVA doctors designated as America’s Top Doctors by specialty in 2009 are:
- Cardiology – Dr. George A. Beller
- Cardiac Electrophysiology – Dr. John P. DiMarco
- Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism – Dr. Eugene J. Barrett, Dr. Alan C. Dalkin, Dr. John C. Marshall, Dr. Mary Lee Vance
- Geriatric Psychiatry – Dr. Suzanne Holroyd
- Gynecologic Oncology – Dr. Peyton T. Taylor, Jr.
- Maternal and Fetal Medicine– Dr. James E. Ferguson II
- Medical Oncology – Dr. Paula M. Fracasso, Dr. William W. Grosh, Dr. Geoffrey R. Weiss, Dr. Michael E. Williams
- Infectious Diseases – Dr. Richard L. Guerrant, Dr. Richard D. Pearson, Dr. W. Michael Scheld
- Neonatal Perinatal Medicine – Dr. Robert J. Boyle, Dr. John Kattwinkel
- Nephrology – Dr. W. Kline Bolton, Dr. Mark D. Okusa
- Neurological Surgery – Dr. Christopher I. Shaffrey, Dr. Mark E. Shaffrey
- Neurology – Dr. Steven T. DeKosky, Dr. Daryl R. Gress, Dr. Elliott C. Haley, Jr., Dr. David Schiff, Dr. G. Frederick Wooten
- Neuroradiology – Dr. Mary E. Jensen
- Orthopaedic Surgery – Dr. David R. Diduch, Dr. Mark D. Miller
- Otolaryngology – Dr. Bradley W. Kesser, Dr. Paul A. Levine
- Pathology – Dr. Stacey E. Mills
- Pediatric Surgery – Dr. Bradley M. Rodgers
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation – Dr. Paul T. Diamond
- Plastic Surgery – Dr. Raymond F. Morgan
- Psychiatry – Dr. Randolph J. Canterbury II
- Radiation Oncology – Dr. James M. Larner, Dr. Tyvin A. Rich
- Surgery – Dr. Reid B. Adams, Dr. John B. Hanks, Dr. Bruce D. Schirmer, Dr. Craig L. Slingluff, Jr.
- Thoracic Surgery – Dr. David R. Jones, Dr. Irving L. Kron
- Urology – Dr. William D. Steers
- Vascular Surgery -Dr. Kenneth J. Cherry, Jr.
Additionally, UVA has 16 physicians on faculty who made the listing for a sister publication, American’s Top Doctors for Cancer, fifth edition. They are:
|Dr. Reid B. Adams||Surgical Oncology|
|Dr. Paula M. Fracasso||Hematology/Oncology
|Dr. William W. Grosh||Hematology/Oncology
|Dr. John B. Hanks||General Surgery|
|Dr. David R. Jones||Thoracic Surgery|
|Dr. James M. Larner||Radiation Oncology|
|Dr. Paul A. Levine||Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery|
|Dr. Stacey E. Mills||Pathology|
|Dr. Tyvin A. Rich||Radiation Oncology|
|Dr. David Schiff||Neurology|
|Dr. Mark E. Shaffrey||Neurological Surgery|
|Dr. Craig L. Slingluff||Surgical Oncology|
|Dr. Peyton T. Taylor, Jr.||Gynecologic Oncology|
|Dr. Mary Lee Vance||Endocrinology and Metabolism
|Dr. Geoffrey R. Weiss||Hematology/Oncology
|Dr. Michael E. Williams||Hematology/Oncology
Filed Under: News