Incredible Outcome for Patient Treated by UVA Emergency Medicine Physicians

A college student who drank a bottle of soy sauce has survived without brain damaged thanks to treatment by UVA EM physicians.  The student presented to the hospital in a coma and was experiencing seizures due to acute hypernatremia, however a case study performed by Dr. David Carlberg, Dr. Heather Borek, Dr. Scott Syverud, and Dr. Christopher Holstege showed that the student was neurologically intact one month later.  The patient was treated using a rapid free-water infusion technique with a solution of water and sugar administered through a nasal tube.  The case study has recently been published online in the Journal of Emergency Medicine, and more information about the incident can be found in this article by United Press International.